A brief note:
- Institute for global development came into being in 2008 and now in seventh year of existence, a secular non- governmental organization started focusing on primary health care I rural India and the core funder till date remain DLF foundation.
- Over the years few more joined which focus on health issues like HIV prevention funded by Apollo Tyres (recently included) and Maternal, New Born and Child health in Himachal Pradesh State in Solan District and covering 20 villages in Nalagarh Block with sole focus on capacity building of community group, women, adolescents, PRI members or MMCH on improving maternal, new born and child health supported by Glenmark Foundation.
- Primary Health Care concept is the pillar of the country’s Public health system to reach vulnerable group-women, children, adolescents particularly rural poor marginalized urban unreached with objectives is to provide low cost quality Primary health care liaising with existing outreach workers of government Public Health system like ASHAS, AWW and utilizing the government Public Health system sub centres, Primary health centers and Referral facilities at CHC/ District Hospital as and when required.
- Currently looking at the public health system of the country –till date- still the Primary health centre and sub centre not really functioning due to manpower shortage, poor infrastructure and lack of proper supportive supervision and monitoring with relatively poor remuneration of staff. In this context the Primary Health Care efforts by iGD make lot of sense and relevant for the country.
- Over time, Primary Health Care Project has taken root at urban areas of Delhi and with addition of Mobile Medical Care Unit (MMCU) taking shape in urban poor areas of Okhla and Chanakyapuri.
- PHC static now function at Haryana state district Gurgaon 4 static PHCs, 1 static PHC in Dhanaura Punjab. MMCU have started functioning in Haryana and Punjab (now in the 2nd year).
- One static PHC is functioning at Indore Madhya Pradesh (Now 4 months old ) with promise to carry out mobile health care also.
- Apollo Tyres supporting HIV project at Jaipur urban settlements in Rajasthan relatively new project.
- So far iGD is trying hard to enhance quality of Primary Health care project staff, by continuous capacity building of the staff with proper supportive supervision and monitoring though at times consistency of staff , adequate funding support for outreach activities remain a formidable challenge but being young NGO ready to take up Health and development challenges forthnight and move forward.