We identify geographical areas in alliance with our donors, where basic facilities like healthcare, sanitation and education are still unreached. The areas can be rural or urban, we then work towards the two basic needs that should be addressed immediately, that is health care and sanitation, we next tread gradually to the other requirements that needs intervention.
We work in the areas of
- Health:After intense interaction with the community, we see that there is a huge gap in the health sector especially mother and child health is an area where a lot more emphasis is to be done. People living in urban slums and villages to do have access to health facilities in times of dire need.
Our health workers and medical professionals plug in to address the gap and provide quality low cost health care services from the health facility which is accessible and affordable. The services are provided by specialists like pediatrician, gynecologist and the facilities are available all six days of the week.
We expertise in mother and child health care.Our aim is to improve infant and child health among the marginalized populations. We also provide basic health facility for all those who are yet to be reached and help in building the capacity of the health system functionaries.
Presently, our area of work includes the states of Haryana, Chandigarh, Himachal Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. Imparting knowledge on nutrition and practices of pregnant, lactating and mothers of 3 to 5 year old children is another area that we proficient in. We emphasize and work on institutional delivery.
- Sanitation:There are many in our country residing in rural and urban areas till today who are yet to have access to concrete structure for defecation. A classic example can be the urban slum of Noida district slum number 17, where a population of nearly 2000 people do not have proper toilets to answer nature’s call. There is a safety issue associated with this too specially for the women folk and the children and it is of prime concern. We create such structures for them so that they do not have to go out in the open in the wee hours to relieve themselves. We also create awareness on hygiene practices through community mobilization.
- Waste Management: Managing waste scientifically will add to a healthy atmosphere in any environment. We are doing substantial work in this area. Right from gathering bio-degradable to non-biodegradable wastes from each and every house in 10 villages in Gurgaon district of Haryana, we segregate them and use the biodegradable waste matter for the production of useful resources like organic fertilizers for agriculture.
- Dissemination of Information: Institute for Global Development also works in the area of information dissemination. A well-equipped information centre and library finds place in Hasanpur village of Gurgaon district in Haryana. The centre caters to six villages in the district. School and college going children from the villages visit the centre for different kinds of activities ranging from brain storming games to hard core sports.
The centre also imparts training to girls in martial arts so that they can defend themselves which is a vital skill, keeping in mind the crisis situation of today’s society.
- Skill Development:The institute offers special vocational courses for students who have dropped out of school due to some reason or the other. We do a door to door survey of the villages and identify such students to apprise them of the number of skill development programs that our institute offers.
- The Institute has recently added another feather to its cap by expanding their intervention in Kasauli, solan district, Himachal Pradesh. There we are providing health facilities through Medical Mobile Unit.